Thursday 7 July 2011

The benefits of research.

Whatever I put into my vintage shop I will research as much as possible to give you the fullest picture of it's history. Which I think, all adds to the charm, and interest, of vintage pieces. Sometimes it's very hard to find any information at all. But, sometimes, you happen onto a gem. That's the case with this Stratton compact.. It's quite hard to find any specific info on the Stratton designs. Then I happened onto a picture of an unused compact from the same range. The picture had in it the original leaflet that came with this range, and which had some very useful info on it. I can now tell you this compact is from Stratton's Old China range. The range had 3 similar style patterns, and 3 colours. I think you must have been able to get all the colours in all the sizes, so to speak. The picture of this compact pattern on the leaflet had a blue background. Next to it was a different design with this green colour as a background, which I'm sure I've seen for sale in red. And red was the colour of background on the last compact of the 3 designs on the leaflet. More information that I gleaned was that the Old China range was influenced by the porcelain designs of Worcester. Specifically First-Period Worcester 1751 - 1783. Further research reveals this period at Worcester was influenced by Japanese and Chinese porcelain patterns, and also the porcelain designs of Meissen of Germany, and Sevres of France. Before I found all this information out I could see the lid design on this compact was a hybrid of styles, with the oriental birds and oriental stylised trees, ornate French Rococo style gold decoration, and the very English posy of roses and irises. The green is a very English green too. It's very country cottage gate, and old steam trains. In fact, I'm sure you can buy a fence paint in this colour that's called Old English Green, or something similar. So, anyway, there you have it. A bit of research and I am now more informed about this oriental influenced design style which you see on a lot of vintage items, and I've been able to add some flesh to the bones of info on this vintage compact.