Monday 11 July 2011

Vintage Victorian Style

My newest editions to the shop both remind me of the Victorian era. This Mascot compact, would have been made sometime between the 50's and the 80's, before Mascot were taken over by compact makers, Stratton. It's got a petit point design of a bouquet of flowers. Rather than stylised flowers, Victorian designs showed flowers very realistically, which these are. It also reminds me of a Victorian sampler with it's beige background material, and the bright coloured threads used. The metal is a very rich brass colour. Brass was a very popular metal used by the Victorians.









This photo frame has a very Victorian feel to it. The picture that's in it at the moment is a drawing of a girl who is wearing Victorian style clothing. And the roses remind me of Victorian stained glass, like on the doors on the old houses. The final thing is the dark metal and the extra ornamentation of the beading. It was very popular in Victorian times to have a lot of embellishment on items, and they loved dark, rich colours too.

I bought both items because they were interesting. The compact's embroidered design caught my eye, and the photo frame with it's handpainted rose doors, I thought was different. When I put them next to each other I noticed the Victorian look to both of them. There's a lot of Victorian style jewellery around at the moment, so if you like that look, these could be for you.