Saturday 9 July 2011

1950's? Probably.

I have listed another two items in my vintage shop . They are both items that I can't date exactly. As I've said before it's sometimes really hard to find any information on some vintage items, even if you have a maker's name.

The first item is this vintage Kigu Compact. Kigu manufactured compacts from the early 1920's. You can find some examples listed on Kigu's history website, which is helpfully organised into decades, but there's nothing like this one on there. So, I am guestimate-dating this compact to the 50's, or early 60's. If you have a rough idea of the type of patterns and designs that were standardly used in each era, what design features were popular, fashionable colours, and you know when the manufacturing company operated from and to, you can make an educated guess at date. The reason I've gone for my date is the dainty pink flowers and the little, stylised cream stars. They are very evocative of the 50's to me. And the colours of pink, cream and mint green, again, very 50's. Also, with the packaging that came with this compact, there are two labels that are printed in very 50's style fonts. One printed on pink card, and there's an aqua-coloured paper label in the powder tray. All very 50's colours. I think all the clues together make it pretty probable this was a 50's compact. I've not been able to find anything even similar in design to test my theory though, so you'll have to make your own mind up whether you agree.

The other item I've listed is this Porcelain Cat Figurine. Again, nothing to date this item at all. No makers mark anywhere, all I can go on is the style and pose, which is very 50's. The colours of jade green and red are very 50's to me. And the handpainted flowers, which look like stylised stars, and even the neckbow are very 50's things too. I can't be sure, but as I can't find another example, it's my best guess.

See what you think. You can see more pics and a detailed description by clicking the item links in the text above.